Digestive Symptoms to Heed
Consider Seeing a Gastroenterologist
When you are experiencing gastrointestinal tract problems, it might be more than an uncomfortable issue.
In many cases, the symptoms that are being experienced are a signal that something is going wrong with the body. At times, it may be easy to remedy but at other times, the treatment may be more extensive. In order to properly diagnose, evaluate and manage any of those issues, you can call on a gastroenterologist, the type of doctor who specializes in diseases that affect the digestive system.
When You Experience. . .
When you experience any of the following digestive tract symptoms, it is best to consult such a specialist. They can rule out anything serious and offer a treatment option to care for the situation
- Abdominal Pain or Discomfort – Although it is not abnormal to experience some stomach pain from time to time, any persistent or severe pain could be a sign of something serious.
- Constipation or Diarrhea – This is often one of the first signs that are noticed when a digestive problem takes place. It is also an issue that can be caused by a wide variety of problems, including improper diet, dehydration and side effects from various medications.
- Difficulty Swallowing – This problem can be a chronic issue but it could also come on suddenly. Aside from the discomfort you may experience, it could lead to additional issues if it is not treated properly.
- Gastritis – This is a problem with inflammation of the digestive tract. It could be caused by many different problems, including some that are fairly simple to manage. It can also be an uncomfortable issue.
- Hemorrhoids – Although this is a common problem, it is one that most people would rather do without. They can be either internal or external and when they are serious, surgery may be considered.
- Ulcers – This is an issue that can take place in various places along the GI tract. They can be uncomfortable and could lead to a variety of other symptoms, depending on their severity and location.
- Weight Loss – Many people attempt to lose weight, but when it takes place for no known reason, it can be a sign that something is going on in the body. This is also a problem that can be treated by a gastroenterologist.
- Jaundice – This is a problem that can be a sign of liver disease.
- Bleeding – When blood is detected in the stool it is a sign that should be checked into right away.
- Heartburn – This may be a common problem but it is one that should be checked on by a specialist. Typically, a case of mild heartburn can be treated with antacids but if it is persistent, it may need to be looked into by a specialist.
These are some of the many different gastrointestinal symptoms you might experience. There may be times when they are mild and easy to treat but they could also be a sign of a more serious problem that needs attention right away.